[CBQ] Passing of Jim Seacrest

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Passing of Jim Seacrest
From: "gvlc6@hotmail.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 11 Jul 2016 06:30:41 -0700
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Although I never met Jim, we began corresponding in late "76 or early "77 (pre-internet, a LOT of letters) as I tried to convince him to join CB&Q His. Soc.  I had learned from Bernie Corbin that Jim had a lot of Q material having inherited his Dad's published business.  Also when we moved to the Chicago 'burbs in 1978, I learned Jim bought the entire stock of CB&Q material from a legendary transportation-focused bookstore that was being sold.  (name escapes me @ the moment)

Unlike Bernie, Al Holck, Dick Overton, Hol, Bob Landregan, et al, Jim was hesitant to join CB&Q His Soc and when he did, he requested anonymity (yes, he was the anonymous mbr I referenced in early issues, esp. an unusual photo he shared with the 2 axle 'critter' couple to a Q loco).  He had been 'burned' by other efforts to create a Burlington group based in Alabama as well as by some museums.  In any case, years later he became more public and his collection benefitted several Q publications.  I hope his collection is well preserved wherever it ends up.

This is just another reminder that 45 yrs (nearly a half century ago!) CB&Q ceased to exist so most of the former employees and collectors have passed on.  It means a heavier burden on the BRHS membership (have YOU joined?) to participate in whatever way you can.

Gerald

Posted by: gvlc6@hotmail.com