[CBQ] Paper Routes

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Paper Routes
From: "go.1955@hotmail.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 08 Apr 2016 07:38:13 -0700
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

When I finally made it to suburban service as a fireman in 1977 some engineers had you walk through the train collecting newspapers for them. Some just wanted a Trib or Sun Times or both. The high finance guys wanted a copy of the Wall Street Journal.

One particular engineer I fired for wanted 5 or 6 copies of each paper you could find for his paper route. You would start at the control car collecting every section of the Tribune you could find and the Sun Times. Once you made it to the cab, which by now you were rolling down the lead to the coach yard (had to make the train back to Aurora), you shut the HEP down and then started sorting your paper collection.

You put all the sections of the Tribune in the proper order and set them aside. If you had any incomplete sections you just left them in the cab. Of course you made sure you had a set for yourself.

Where did the papers go? Well, I know for a fact that one set went to the yardmaster at 14th Street. Would this be the RR form of Payolla?

I'm not sure where the other sets went, but if I remember correctly the story went that upon arrival in Aurora the other sets were delivered to friends in a nursing home.

Leo and Doug you may be able to fill in the blanks here, but this is all I remember.

Gary Olszewski

Posted by: go.1955@hotmail.com