Re: [CBQ] Paper Routes

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Paper Routes
From: "Charlie Vlk cvlk@comcast.net [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 10:24:31 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1460129075; bh=mUTQYuQgbL/IgnV+cVYOiGGocW1RFbH3fHfZSKTQbyI=; h=References:In-Reply-To:To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=I4i5N9y8YWGa7un35fiHAnr2UKQgOcLCVioLcOySnY93MISpooZfX+ITbnJ124ghV9qVuSI69yBpWnTVxsHAEOC7n5qJ4n47B4e3T3+GeEwW6qK3601CbteukpH7aLdN3Ti7NeL0v84sTZq7PRnhTp0Fzjc3SeX9+p1AFYHfEgA=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

The collection of papers wasn't limited to train crews or on the train.
I worked downtown at Illinois Bell and my boss was a mid-level manager making good money.   He would paw through the trash in the station pulling out papers.....I think to look for sales so he could buy stuff and return the goods for full retail at Marshall Fields or Carson Pierre Scott.  Probably the cheapest SOB I ever met!
Commuters are way different now....there used to be more conversation and Lord help you if you tried to sit in seats that were staked out for card players!!!
Now they have dainty "quiet cars" and the smoking car is a thing of the past.
The paper folding rituals were fun to watch....some people bordered on origami and folded so much the paper got pressed in the process while others held out there arms do a full two page spread of the Tribune
Good to hear about the rituals of the crews!!!!
Charlie Vlk
PS
After the 5632 Birthday Fan Trip I remember seeing crew flashing "Menk the Fink" buttons pinned to the inside of their uniform coats.

Sent from my iPhone