[CBQ] Yard foreman(yard conductor) vs Conductor,an inside view

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Yard foreman(yard conductor) vs Conductor,an inside view
From: "qutlx1@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 18:39:04 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Don't ask me why this subject popped into my head. Somethings can't be
explained but I thought the group would enjoy. Not trying to start an argument
about who was more important,but suspect my biases will show.

A yard foreman was a promoted helper. He could work as a foreman if his
seniority entitled him to do so or as a helper anytime he wanted. Foremen were
promoted by yard masters when they felt a man had enough experience and smarts
to do the job of supervising the crew. Often this happened in a pinch when a
crew was needed or someone didn't show up. His responsibility encompassed the
yard and yard limits on the mains and branches that yard crews could work
within. No exam was required to become a yard foreman.

A Conductor on the other hand, had to be employed in train service as a
brakeman, for a minimum of two years, the prior 90 days in road freight service
and pass an extensive book of rules test on signal aspects,train orders, train
rights,safety rules,etc. when your you notice to attend the test you had a set
period of time to study. If you failed the test you remained a brakeman. You
had two more opportunities to pass the test. If not you were a brakeman for
ever. Many men chose to "Chuck their rights " and remain brakeman rather than
starting over at the bottom of the seniority list as a Condr.

This meant they could hold a better job but could never work as a Condr. Many
guys did this to stay on preferred passenger jobs or certain freight jobs.
Problem was later on,as passenger jobs disappeared and these guys got older
there were far fewer chose spots where to land.

On the other hand,if you took the test and passed you were now an examined
Condr., this meant you were lower than low. You kept your brakemans seniority
and your current run but whenever the extra board was exhausted your phone rang
and you went or "chucked your rights". A guy who  was my brakeman in the C&I
pool lost his Condrs. Rights that way by refusing to go when called as a Condr.
He had a law degree  and had practiced as a lawyer.

So for a long time you got pulled from your nicer brakemans job and ended up
working some less desirable night or far away from home job. You could be
"forced"  to the least wanted job on the division. That clause was a real
downer if you were the youngest "examined,non working Condr ." On the division.
So when I got my letter to attend the
Exam class I was pleased to note the large number of names below mine.
I was never in danger of being "forced" to some god foresaken job.

On the other hand my phone started ring at odd times when I didn't expect to be
called for work. The real problem was most of time the entire regular crew had
"laid off" so if you hadn't work the job before as a brakeman the crew was
really lost(that's why the 2 year rule was in place).

Gradually you moved up the seniority list and ended up having brakeman twice
your age under you,especially when working the Condrs. Extra list,filling in
for the regular Con.

Leo

Posted by: qutlx1@aol.com

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com