Re: [CBQ] Mark Twain Zephyr...

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Mark Twain Zephyr...
From: "Bill Hirt whirt@fastmail.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2016 19:57:36 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1457229456; bh=xwuNTLT19e5kYmoCHvtUVq9cE+JYj9Q1pL19a7jyQak=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=I/Qgp/uhzMZGUgcpNDX4bWYHHJPcv04aiZhaOuh0Yr0UGreSFBa+icoofsah0W8I0aF+D6JhpEgLgLz7bgVmF07SOThrj9sC5v3Z5QuOYN1lTj0ZiIGL0soppjW9FDLS12XqFP5VGjypTBK7TX0s50xiMVYoWrIlfByOpVm9fOQ=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Jan,

I think you are misinterpreting it. It was very easy to turn the train
set at St. Louis Union Station due to the wye track configuration at the
station. The train set did the same at Burlington on it's own special
wye built south of the depot on the K line. Plus with the train set
being short, it was a lot easier for the TRRA to handle than some of the
large trains that the MP and other roads ran into St. Louis.

TRRA Employee Timetable 10 (February 4, 1945) shows Train 43 Mark Twain
Zephyr leaving St. Louis Union Station Track 29 at 8:32 am. The train
departed North Ranken at 5:30 am to have the mail car set at the station
for loading (most likely on Track 29).

The return trip Train 44 Mark Twain Zephyr arrived 9:58 pm St Louis
Union Station Track 14. Note says Motor and Train to North Rankin for
layover.

TRRA Employee Timetable 31 (October 30, 1955) shows Train 43 Mark Twain
Zephyr leaving St. Louis Union Station Track 28 at 8:45 am. The train
departed North Ranken at 5:30 am. Mail car was to be set at 6 am.

The return trip Train 44 Mark Twain Zephyr arrived 10:08 pm St Louis
Union Station Track 14. Note says Motor and Train to North Rankin for
layover.

In comparison in 1955, Train 15 the Zephyr Rocket did not depart North
Rankin until 3:40 pm for a 5:05 pm departure from St Louis Union Station
Track 34. The mail car was set at the station at 2:00 pm for loading.

Bill Hirt

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com