RE: [CBQ] Black Boxcar Theory

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Black Boxcar Theory
From: "'Rupert & Maureen' gamlenz@ihug.co.nz [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2016 10:33:17 +1300
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1454448801; bh=Mb65TQXAMuLLqKqZeYmnJgOBxJMn8OJakJofalucJ3E=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=ySHSNpUelQOyHu1w4iuPDFAxpCqtWyiJ/EgCOllUTLhGKINLT3YkE798Xl2FsdbR52l0DO1VJM7NFsIrFh7maea0IQKIK7YkrXt/icCmrr1H4WpsgCE1OsWUn3Dsmc6ZOY8EoaSyfesJpYhZdW4w/6802xir2l/h8ZECsK/TDCw=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Randy

Thanks for investigating this photo, especially as it tends to support the
possibility that, for some unknown reason, this car was painted in a colour
other than standard mineral red.

The "black" car's herald appears to show the presence of three colours - the
white "Burlington Route" lettering, a darker band around the herald, and the
"black" background of the herald, which appears to match the car body's
colour. Looking at builder's photos of auto cars in RPC volume 12
(convenient because it contains builder's photos from 1906 onwards) I note
that the herald backgrounds were black and strongly contrasted with the car
bodies. This black/red contrast is also present ion the two box cars nearer
the camera in the Bushnell photo.

Whilst I am biased, I would like to think that we might have found an
unusual car, even if we don't know its number.

Rupert Gamlen
Auckland NZ