Re: [CBQ] O-5s With M-4 Tenders

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] O-5s With M-4 Tenders
From: "LZadnichek@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 13:04:15 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

November 6, 2015

Nolen/Ken - I, too, was a little surprised by the very close dimensions and capacities comparing the O-5 and M-4 tenders. Just from appearances, I would've thought the M-4 tender was larger all-around, but it wasn't. As they say, appearances can be deceiving.... So, I'll venture that the proposed but never built later series of O-5s would've kept their original style tenders with the exception of being "stretched" by several feet for greater water capacity. Of course, turntable lengths would've been a limiting factor. As Ken's image gets spread, may be others will note the lack of ash pans. Guess you could then say 5662 was a "hybrid" that burned both coal and oil with a big pull lever in the cab for the fireman to switch from one fuel to the other.... Best Regards - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL