Re: [CBQ] Q Steam Being Scrapped At NWS&W [1 Attachment]

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Q Steam Being Scrapped At NWS&W [1 Attachment]
From: "LZadnichek@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 13:51:05 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
[Attachment(s) from LZadnichek@aol.com included below]

November 4, 2015

Mike - I'll contribute one of my photographs of an ex-GTW 0-8-0 switching the NWS&W steel mill at Sterling, IL, during July 1963. Shown is No. 10, formerly GTW No. 8310 that was sold for scrap to NWS&W in September 1961. Note the Mars light that had been removed from a scrapped Q steam locomotive. NWS&W fitted a number of their 0-8-0s with such Mars lights for grade crossing protection at night. Most of these chunky GTW switchers were found to be in serviceable condition when delivered, so NWS&W put them to work switching the mill and they are well remembered to this day by Chicago area rail fans. I, too, have many happy memories of watching them at work, particularly during winter months with clouds of coal smoke and steam billowing forth as they huffed and puffed around the mill. Best Regards - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL