Re: [CBQ] Proposed but never built CB&Q steam? [1 Attachment]

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Proposed but never built CB&Q steam? [1 Attachment]
From: "LZadnichek@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 13:14:07 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
[Attachment(s) from LZadnichek@aol.com included below]

November 4, 2015

Mike - I don't know if I would go so far as to say the Q's long boilered 4-8-2 types were "ugly," but they certainly were "homely" and the lignite burners on Lines West had a look about them that only a mother could love.... Whereas the later Baldwin built Class B-1-A locomotives were modernized during their service lives with disc drivers and heat treated alloy steel running gear with some even receiving roller bearings on their valve linkage and main drivers, let's not forget their earlier "less sophisticated" sisters, the almost forgotten Lima 1922 built Class B-1 locomotives. Now, to me, the B-1s were the Q's true wall flowers and the lignite burners' smoke boxes compared favorably to a camel's snout. I just can't visualize a beautiful S-4 "cozying-up" to a camel nose lignite burning B-1 in some darkened roundhouse on Lines West..... I'm attaching an undated image of Class B-1 7001 at an unknown location, but from the grain elevators in the background the location almost certainly is the Gibson Yard roundhouse in Omaha, NE. The date is prior to July 1953 when 7001 was sold for scrap (the entire B-1 class of eight locomotives were purged during 1953).  In the image, 7001 appears to be stored serviceable alongside the roundhouse. I like to think this spinster 4-8-2 type was dreaming at the time of a long lost suitor....  Best Regards - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL