Re: [CBQ] Cuckoo clock

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Cuckoo clock
From: "LZadnichek@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 15:24:25 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

November 3, 2015

Charlie and All - Here's the trade journal link to the American Headlight Company Model D carbon arc headlight:

This was obviously high tech equipment for its time. But, once the high powered light bulb was perfected, all this became obsolete and ended-up in the junk pile behind the roundhouse.

During my misspent youth after serving in the Navy, I worked a summer as a deckhand aboard a river tow boat that was equipped with two huge brass Carlisle & Finch carbon arc spotlights. On the night watch, it was my responsibility to climb on top the wheel house and change out the carbons by hand after they had burnt down. This was while the pilot below was continuously shouting obscenities at me to hurry up so he could again "spot" the hard-to-see navigational buoys in the river. Some memories.....

Pity the poor fireman a hundred years ago or more who had to hang on for dear life with one hand while using the other to change out carbons at night while the bouncing locomotive beneath his feet was hurtling along through the darkness. Train crews today have no idea.....

Charlie, hope you're successful in locating a cut-away diagram of the headlight itself. Per Hol's earlier comments, I speculate that the Q sold the headlight design or rights to manufacture it to the Remy Electric Company. If true, that in itself would make for an interesting article as it would show just how sophisticated the Q's engineering research was during that era. Best Regards - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL