Re: [CBQ] Cuckoo Clock [1 Attachment]

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Cuckoo Clock [1 Attachment]
From: "LZadnichek@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2015 10:58:23 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
[Attachment(s) from LZadnichek@aol.com included below]

November 21, 2015

Hol - There is nothing I enjoy more that delving into old railroad photographs, particularly those with a Q subject. It's fascinating to me to enlarge one of your images as best I can depending upon the resolution and discover all the details hidden within. Your generously shared images have brought me hours of enjoyment, as well as glimpses way back into a much steamier time.... So much Q history has been forgotten the past hundred years or more, but fortunately a good deal of it has been visually preserved in your images to be rediscovered and marveled upon again by railroad historians like ourselves within this Group. I had posted earlier that I did not have any early day images of Class S-1 locomotives, but I do have one that I had digitally filed under Shabbona since the locomotive and train number were unidentified. I've attached it below. It shows an unknown S-1 powering a heavy passenger train of its era through Shabbona, IL, circa 1914. The locomotive has its front coupler folded-up for grade crossing safety and is equipped with the early cuckoo clock headlight. I can barely make out what looks to be a generator just ahead of the cab, so the headlight may be a carbon arc version. There appears to be an RPO, baggage and eight trailing coaches that would include a diner and parlor. I would think 10 cars would be a pretty good load for a S-1. Any educated guesses as to what train this would be?  Due to the lack of shadows, I'd say the time was mid-day. Plus, I'd speculate the season was mid-to-late summer from the nice crop of nearly full grown corn at left and full foliage in the trees. Lastly, from the exhaust, I'd say the S-1 was working steam in route to its next stop. The train looks to be westbound. Thanks and best regards - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL