Re: [CBQ] Short Flagging

To: "CBQ@yahoogroups.com" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Short Flagging
From: "qutlx1@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 17:02:53 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1442440975; bh=WIYtROp2vAmIRRp9KB1vFWk0QwGyytkimVhfFrXQa3o=; h=References:In-Reply-To:To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=plL/xORP7JNfEQqu5ca2fKf0FS2vUkQ/0Gs0te2Xn3dJZyGixc/d+Cf/3lG3+pOW6tL8QHUciGgejHU/3hzqjUSMh6jm3Yl2eKsne6tdvZLybItkEF1+82Ovv0Qlrc4ODAKnGAw6Qq622joLNKXlwbb/BpweKOu2tEZQKWFIuO8=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

What was stated in the previous email below  is correct,as far as it goes.

But doesn't cover other incidents. A case for example, in the mid 70's I was the rear brakeman on a eastbound train setting out at Congress Park. The engineer used the automatic(train air) to slow the train for the set out but at the last moment realized he knocked it off a bit too soon.
He applied the engine brakes,we had seven or eight non aligned drawbar units on the head end.
All working power. When he applied the "jammer" one or more of the engine truck sets went sideways. When he pulled ahead to make the set out those trucks spread the mainline rail like it was model track. All the following cars went on the ground.

At the investigation besides being asked name,rank and serial number I was asked two questions. Was the stop at Congress Park out of the ordinary. DID YOU PROVIDE FLAG PROTECTION UNDER RULE 99?

The point being if we had cars fouling another track we were required to provide protection.

2nd example, the La Grange road incident I described earlier. If the auto,we thought we hit, was blocking or fouling the other mains, and another train hit the auto we were responsible under rule 99. That's why the Condr. Screamed at me when I popped the rear vestibule door to flag.

Leo