[CBQ] warpath train orders and other items of note

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] warpath train orders and other items of note
From: "james sandrin jamessandrin@yahoo.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 18:55:24 -0700
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
My first reaction to the train order was that it may have reflected some local
with a gripe against  the railroad who had taken a few pot-shots at passing
trains, Since Ardmore and Rumsford are truly in the middle of no-where, it at
least seems plausible that one might vent his rage in such a manner without
much fear of repercussions.  The suggestion of a train master or road foreman
running tests on crews is also a plausible explanation.

B&B translates to Bridge and Building, a specialized part of the maintenance
department  that deals with everything above or below the track structure,
except for perhaps, track side signals. I worked a summer on a B&B crew for the
C&S based out of Rice Yards in Denver and we spent the time rebuilding
crossings, cleaning siphons on irrigation ditches, painting wayside structures
and a dozen other jobs that most civilians would never give a thought to.

Concerning slag, it is usually the waste product of metal processing, such as
the refining of precious metals or the refining of iron ore. The scorched earth
appearance of the Union Pacific and Rio Grande right of way through Colorado
and Utah is because of the slag from Geneva, Utah and Leadville, Colorado that
both roads used as ballast.  It was cheap, resistant to weathering and provided
good drainage.  All qualities desired of a good track ballast.  Happy trails,
Jim Sandrin

Posted by: james sandrin <jamessandrin@yahoo.com>

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com