RE: [CBQ] Two tone cabs

To: CB&Q Group <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Two tone cabs
From: "Hol Wagner holpennywagner@msn.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2015 10:43:42 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1428597825; bh=B5YYfJnmH1A6Wy9AfduCBye1wpdOIjQZy3f8i/tRZao=; h=To:In-Reply-To:References:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=VpgVAFts2dPRPod55omuTocDl2DzYFfmuCuJtimV5Vqi7t4gphQRAxK0VBfsttFD64OYrcdVfJvxQYBRGYEGclzVRHK11jgIxBEI6CeS6gBenIcflQOzwd6dnxjEWBXPxdB7zOmnF+mc1tsAz7zEPKbElMJTZPUp2j6cHQqI3R8=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Looking at the photo, I would suggest that it shows a fairly common occurrence, particular during the Depression period of the 1930s:  When the lettering or herald on a locomotive became worn or faded it was standard practice to repaint only the necessary area -- the cab and tender sides -- and apply new lettering and heralds.  I have a copy of a letter somewhere in my files stating that, even with the poor economy, heralds and lettering were to be kept in good condition, and this was the least expensive way of doing it.  Also, there is simply no record anywhere of the Burlington painting boiler jackets, domes  and cylinder jackets any color except gloss black during the 20th Century, though many roads, including the C&S, did just that.  And the C&S did it for 10 years or more after being acquired by the Q.  If anyone's interested, I'll reference a couple of Otto Perry photos that clearly show this.

Hol