Re: [CBQ] Texas Zephyr Behind Steam Power [1 Attachment]

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Texas Zephyr Behind Steam Power [1 Attachment]
From: "LZadnichek@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 14:52:21 -0400
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
[Attachment(s) from LZadnichek@aol.com included below]

March 26, 2015

Mike and Ken - The FW&D 550 series Pacifics could also be found powering freight trains near the end of their long service careers. The attached image shows No. 556 with a freight at Irving, TX, in 1951. Unfortunately, I do not have any broadside images of the engineer's and fireman's sides to use for kitbashing or modeling purposes. Perhaps, another Group member does. I do not have my copy of Hol's "Colorado Road" book handy, but, according to the Corbin book, No. 556 and its sister No. 557 were both constructed by Baldwin in 1922 to Q Class S-3 specifications and were the last two Pacific types acquired by the Colorado Road. Also, whereas both Nos. 556 and 557 were equipped with Elesco feed water heaters giving them the heavy "beetle brow" look, I can't recall seeing an image of a Q Class S-3 equipped with anything but a Worthington feed water heater, although the Corbin book indicates some did have Elescos. I'm not a modeler, but agree with you both that the Q Class S-3 Pacific type would be a good subject for some company to produce as a scale model. They were a fine looking and, by all accounts, a well designed steam passenger locomotive up until dieselization forever silenced their whistles and exhausts. Best Regards - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL