Re: [CBQ] What's Wrong With 5030?

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] What's Wrong With 5030?
From: "jonathanharris@earthlink.net [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 04 Feb 2015 14:11:45 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1423087907; bh=6sc8yK79DfBJL65d+dNHTHPLKN3ko+XBxO50IYERDdM=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=LfPvWziLtZ91lp/feiHxBcwbGQnMI2ZSMjPK/jWhBThiFTQjktVWvuMvgG0fYkLwDYrpRU358hYki3wWqAvgS6dxNaZUvSlfm+I/9JC/ei5O9WWaKliP8+UOLWEVV746QAajU350vgA6AxuksFB91wj1zh9+DEPy2ANzKz0dvEs=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

I actually toyed with calling them "Jimmy Durantes of the Burlington Fleet." Hey — if there can be a Mark Twain Zephyr, why not a Jimmy Durante drag freight?

You probably know this already, but others in the group may not: One of the Q's early attempts to deal with lignite sparking involved a kind of diamond stack, which they applied to their new D-4 consolidations in the early years of the 20th century. The relatively small bonnets perched on top of these engines' fat boilers and in the context of their otherwise modern appearance created a notorious aesthetic mismatch, and you sometimes see the engines referred to as "the ugly ducklings." Lignite, it seems, does not inspire the finest industrial design any more than it promotes the cleanest operation.

You suggested the L&B front end etcetera would make a good subject for a BRHS publication. Yes indeed. Hol in fact already has written quite a bit about all this in Burlington Bulletin 29 (on the Q consolidations). If you can find a copy I highly recommend it.

Jonathan

---In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, <LZadnichek@...> wrote :

February 4, 2015

Jonathan - "Big nosed engines," I LIKE that. Very descriptive! I plan to share some more images of the Q's Big Nosed Engines....they came in several Classes (sizes). Guess you might say they were the "Jimmy Durante" locomotives of their era. Lastly, Dad used the term "liquid fire" in regard to the lignite burners coughing up their guts on a hard pull. Best Regards - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL

Posted by: jonathanharris@earthlink.net