RE: [CBQ] Old Locomotives - Q 0-4-0s Sold To Other Railroads

To: CB&Q Group <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Old Locomotives - Q 0-4-0s Sold To Other Railroads
From: "Hol Wagner holpennywagner@msn.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 13:49:06 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1421959750; bh=PE0BoWT/cbYg5lcIijDQzqyNr2jksZQ90cZVFlXq3sM=; h=To:In-Reply-To:References:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=olHSGlZHCdt0BMscbm1Bl12/4z7D/QAEn2RNVXC9FTOjCKCCd9N7Zhp/LRfWU0qXBSHwIsLrpS1myybwsdX23jvU45w2Lbf+70BaYGHah/9B+rsq7/eda49XDogGFT+T5lo7bHa3p7qG21voTJjOUReLY2Ah8sww+CqePyw01UE=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Certainly appears that Louis is right: seven Q E-1 0-4-0s sold to the Algoma Central Railway in 1899 and retired in 1914-15, plus a Q E-1 acquired in 1914-15 by the Alaska Engineering Commission, charged with building the Alaska Railroad.  This locomotive, either acquired from the Q (which disposed of seven E-1s during 1914-15) or from the Algoma Central & Hudson Bay (1901 successor to the Algoma Central), became Alaska Engineering Commission No. 1 and then Alaska Railroad No. 2, likely retired and scrapped before 1920.  In the attached view of the Seward, Alaska, shops of the AEC in 1915, AEC No. 1 is at right.  The adjacent 4-4-0s are probably AEC 10 and 11, previously Alaska Northern/Alaska Central 1-2 and originally from the Northern Pacific.

Hol