[CBQ] Old Locomotives - Q 0-4-0s Sold To Other Railroads [1 Attachment]

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Old Locomotives - Q 0-4-0s Sold To Other Railroads [1 Attachment]
From: "LZadnichek@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 14:27:40 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

January 22, 2015

Hol - In answer:

- - - -

I'll offer a bit more on the E-1s shortly, though I have no specifics on any of them going to Russia, my understanding being that it was primarily B&MR 4-4-0s that were sent to help with construction of the 5-foot gauge Trans-Siberian.  And I know nothing about any E-1s going to the Algoma Central but would love to learn what you know.

Hol

- - - -

The first link shows an all-time Algoma Central RR steam roster that includes seven ex-Q 0-4-0 locomotives:

The second link speculates that Alaska RR No, 2, an 0-4-0, was of Q origin:

Wonder how the Q 0-4-0s ended up in Canada and, may  be, Alaska? Quite possibly the Q sold them as surplus to used locomotive brokers at the time that scattered them out.....

Also, on the subject of Old Locomotives, I'm inserting/attaching an image from my digital collection that shows an early Q 0-4-0 that predates the Class E 0-4-0s:

The image shows CB&Q No. 176 that was built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in April 1871. A portion of this image appears on page 26 of the Corbin Book and states that 176 and its sister 177 were the first two locomotives the Q purchased from Baldwin.

I want to personally thank you for posting all the images and descriptive material. Perhaps, your images and material can be used for future articles in either the Zephyr or Bulletin. I find your postings to always be of great interest. So few of us are left that have any deep knowledge of Q steam power, particularly the early day locomotives. Hopefully, this thread will go a long ways to inspiring younger members of the Group.

I'll have another Old Locomotive image to share in a day or so. Best Regards - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL

View attachments on the web

Posted by: LZadnichek@aol.com