[CBQ] Brakemen

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Brakemen
From: "'Rupert & Maureen' gamlenz@ihug.co.nz [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 10:22:28 +1300
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1420924954; bh=lCcFh3y5N9rLZB35+plJ24Sz6CNmWjEBBh9KUuyJ/nc=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=5W/P57gRmIenzx47wcKkZpNCP9B8H7khYuNY1c4PGhf+qbgCLr7zR5HyeRagisPfYQLyqHUjquLeuncxRL4obPPhPKlGA/XWa+atRfKaQhKQPAf5NNWPdLbw67wP37o3JWC3Xb2z7xcotTFCad1sgoSsMoEOY0WBI/6cGJAP/f4=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Bud

Found this piece yesterday and I’m sure that at least some was still true in the 70’s – a tribute to CB&Q brakemen from 1881

And here it is not out of place to say a word about the brakeman. Bad as his language often is, and rough as is his life, this man, like all others who manfully brave danger, is not without self-respect. He is often more of a man than individuals of softer speech and clothing. Moreover, I have personal reason to believe that all the rank and file of men on our roads have a loyalty in them true and hearty and worth holding. Again and again have I been touched by their simple politeness, their kindness and respectful willingness to do you a favor, without any thought of gain or of return.

Moreover, those who think these men do not care for appearances should watch them as they prepare for their dinner at their boarding-houses Whatever else there may not be in the brakeman, there is manliness in him.

Rupert Gamlen
Auckland NZ