Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 6118

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 6118
From: "dhartman@mchsi.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 10:11:54 -0600 (CST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1416499916; bh=kHjndj2sQTUxw2jeLt9kWag+WJ8a/+sWauNrwH002H8=; h=To:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=Gxz6gSk5eKeiH2q/aWRWGz8YNsvPJs8nGzQX8HWSnjNMt3vZOa08uBW7zAdy2eLHnrL4t/DUH/Rd2NeAir+XOAIayRMQKGPo/qsJxBWJffy8Y+Hi8spntwbsRyZrOLASyEFceCoaSTZWvTwIsJxllv8UilVSdsKjLXUOkHf5s2Y=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Unfortunately for Aurora C and I crews the "incentive" was reversed. The worst
hills were eastbound. When crews were still west of Aurora as the hours toward
dying mounted, going on into Clyde looked less desirable. The choice of a short
cab ride or, better, stepping off at Aurora with your car parked nearby versus
the 3+ hours it could take to go on in and scramble for a ride home (some drove
but most deadheaded on the dinkies - which didn't west run between 130 am and
after 6 am). As the hours stretched to 10 or 11, usually in the dark, you can
see how some were thinking....

I remember some extra list days when, by the time I got back to the Aurora
depot (after, with deadheading, a 14-16 hour day), I was only 5-7 hours away
from going out again.

Having said that, it didn't happen that often. I think I only doubled a few
times on the C and I and maybe a few more on the horn. Far worse were the
agonizing underpowered-but-able slogs that were too frequent in the 70's. Way
of the Zephyrs indeed. However, looking back, it seemed all that was forgotten
when you caught #4 with 4-5 units and 20-30 cars :)