Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 6118

To: "CBQ@yahoogroups.com" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 6118
From: "STEVEN HOLDING sholding@sbcglobal.net [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 21:04:22 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1416459865; bh=hvmPAax02Gnu7+gJWUf4aO3RvhB7xF3/6k+M9nGwByw=; h=References:To:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=nxDxJI4Vgtw4pyDI6qw0gvjua547f/7alzFRjYOuKHkaDvAjBBxd4OLhIbfTlND+kLIBB4byuAWmL1wu16YPb2bxsU1M/ZqZt3+sp1y88MA94E2f6mEnvjEbakKJdi7k+z+ASH2TyAILN0w+nNjqlvO4yH20esYXz00c5+NdROw=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

During the 1975-83 time period I had on occasion worked the Chief Dispatchers desk in the Cicero Office.  One problem we would have was the trains would come out of Northtown for Chicago and often would not have enough power.  Once we got the tonnage out of Northtown (often never got a line up of what they would run or any ideas of tonnage either) we had to quick figure if the train had enough power to make it up Burke Hill out of Savanna.  There use to be a chart (None survived the move I know of) and we would figure out if it would make it and if not start figuring out how much to set out or where we could steal power or at a last resort run it around the horn(Denrock-Mendota)  Out of Northtown to Savanna was mostly River Grade while Denrock -Mendota was more or less one big hill vis the roller-coaster C&I.  Then there was the problem of how badly the motors were being maintained at the time and how they would pull vis the chart.  Next to fall in line was WHO would be the hogger out of Savanna as often some could move trains others could not.   IF you got that all done along with all the other paper work the chiefs job entailed you had better have your transfer ready for Ray to come in and take over on the day job.  That and try and get Helen to keep Homer off the phone from Chit-Chatting.  The Chief's job was no picnic.
Steve in SC