RE: [CBQ] The West Wind

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] The West Wind
From: "'Charlie Vlk' cvlk@comcast.net [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 15:22:50 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1413836573; bh=0JSMZRmQvYXcWgOPm2ARUr/PWrEFphI7YB7/z/iXsiY=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=tByBdR3PQSrSRAm+z/nlZIGu7hxIeY1YZrFKkkgdWSstogAaGJYfQZUP2tQngMQOKqDoLUJZ6OgIf5Dyv1GNMh7BNglC+njlAhYvGr9zsRPktLEnXuFlbUc5KAaW33XhRhYW3zogiVZ5OlmIpvu2Y9PpJges2k5NRLAj7XPK+5A=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Randy-

I think there were sculptural versions of the West Wind plaque….seems to me there was a parade float that had a model of a early Zephyr (fairly crude) that had the plaque incorporated into the presentation.
Neat idea….I will have to have one to add to my Zephyr art wall if you offer castings.   I did art for the even neater (IMHO) Aeolus plaque ….with Aeolus “Keeper of the Winds” cradling a model of the streamlined S4a in the same spirit of the Zephyrus plaque.  (Although I guess technically Aeolus ought to be carrying an ailing Shovelnose rather than the Aeolus itself!!).  ”Back in the Day” when I did the Decal Artwork for Nickel Plate Products to use on their HO model of the 4000 and the BRHS used the art for MicroScale’s decal later.

I wasn’t having any luck finding a good image of the front end of 4000 and 4001 (had the Q drawing # but so far it hasn’t turned up) but found the calendar that showed it and at the same BRHS meet (Hillside IIRC) found a timetable with another good view of it.  Since then photos have also turned up.  At the time I was interested in getting it not only for railroad history purposes but to use for crew jackets for my sailboat Aeolus which was lettered with the correct Budd Co. Zephyr font (which I also did the first artwork for used in Marshall Thayer’s Zephyr articles in RMC).

Charlie Vlk

Randy,

I think what you have done so far is very good. I like the idea of a 3D version of Zephyrus. When you are done with it, what type of media would the final project be made of?

You have put a lot of time and effort in the project and I wish you the very best at getting this project completed. And I hope you have made time to continue doing some modeling on the side as well.

Regards,

Ray Bedard

San Jose CA

> To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
> From: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
> Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 21:00:42 -0500
> Subject: [CBQ] The West Wind [2 Attachments]
>
> Several years ago, in answer to a request of mine, Ray Bedard sent me
> a nice scan of "The West Wind" artwork that was used in early Pioneer
> Zephyr promotional materials.
>
> Well, it's been almost 3 years, but the 80th anniversary of the PZ
> service introduction is coming up the 11th of next month and I've
> finally gotten to working on the 3D embodiment of Zephyrus.
>
> I'm attaching a rectified scan of the artwork (which never existed as
> an actual sculpture) and a very poor rendering of the work in
> progress.
>
> It's been an interesting project so far. I've been studying Art Deco
> bas relief sculpture, and my main references are the "Morning,
> Present, Evening" triptych at Rockefeller Center in NYC and
> "Transportation and Industry" on the facade of Cincinnati Union
> Station, neither of which I've ever seen in person but ample images
> online. Also a large array of photos of Third Reich eagle badges I'm
> using to help with the wings.
>
> The artist of Zephyrus has presented several logical conundrums in
> realizing his sketch as 3D. Zephyrus is behind many layers of
> clouds, but is still overlaying the surrounding ring. This has made
> the ring recede into the background, which I'm not entirely happy
> with.
>
> I'm not sure how I'll end up rendering the clouds. Art Deco
> precedence is to stylize them as I'm showing, but I might end up
> puffing them out somewhat. The forward section of the wing also
> needs some work--it is sloppily rendered in the sketch.
>
> Anyway, I'm blocking out the elements for now and keeping them
> separate so I can tweak them individually.
>
> I'm not sure if I'll be able to do an actual machined piece by Nov.
> 11, or just try to do some renderings. We'll see how the effort
> progresses in the next couple of weeks.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Randy
> --