Re: [CBQ] Polo,IL ?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Polo,IL ?
From: "LZadnichek@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 16:52:42 -0400
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

October 16, 2014

All - Ties were moved in box and stock cars.... Best Regards - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL

In a message dated 10/16/2014 2:56:35 P.M. Central Daylight Time, CBQ@yahoogroups.com writes:

Pete I don’t dispute you as I have heard the same thing. But it got me to wondering, as 40’ cars were not the norm in earlier days. As railroads evolved cars increase in length and capacity, a 34’ or 36’ boxcar was pretty standard up through WWII, but the 39’ rail was well in use. Further

I found this which offers a little explanation http://trn.trains.com/railroads/abcs-of-railroading/2006/05/rail

As to the photo that started this, the size makes it very difficult to determine. I suppose rail is a possibility, the logistics of moving lengths of rail in and out of a small door by hand boggles the mind. I am really wondering if, because of the long string of stockcars, if they are dealing with a dead or down animal.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org