Re: [CBQ] Quincy & Hannibal

To: "CBQ@yahoogroups.com" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Quincy & Hannibal
From: "Thomas Mitchell conductor67@sbcglobal.net [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2014 08:39:48 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1409585992; bh=Hc+A5sGvPmd2AP08jhRgFkkbFcW+5l1CDVJORfQey9Q=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Rocket-MIMEInfo:X-Mailer:References:Message-ID:To:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:X-Original-From:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=A7l/bpnAne0xo91+pXG+zBJFp2ra1jKxqbSfJmnMafZ0pAE+lwUs2EjFS0dWfkmJNpMus5qeM5D+KocE3flE8WOvxT4uuE/I1g//SYXA9syf/y3WnW1Qd3sGp2HGEVhVaLHDtxL8ksetDpuBqXw8gmLJcp9J5bhvajC3JEoHBEU=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Hi Everyone,

I was there this past July for a reunion.  Things have changed in the past 50 years.  The are brand new levees and gates.  The power plant and grain elevators are gone.   Be sure to go to River View Park and you can look straight down onto the Norfolk Southern bridge as it goes into the tunnel. And, there are great views of the river.  Also  another park is at the foot of Broadway St. at the river where both N &S and BNSF tracks are only hundred feet apart.  Sit on the top of the levee (park benches) and watch the train traffic.
Of course you can be a tourist and go to all the Mark Twain sites.  Main St. is a great place to stroll and visit the shops and  restaurants.  If you go to the visitor's bureau downtown they can give you maps etc.  The Croukschank (spelling?) Mansion and the climb to the light house are interesting.  The old highway bridge was torn down and the highway is now on the Interstate bridge.
There is some interesting history about the town of Ilasco and the cement plant and the company town for the limestone miners that were brought from Europe.
The old CB&Q yards are gone.  But the station built in the 50's is still there unused.

Enjoy your trip.  Someone else can fill you in on Quincy.

Tom Mitchell
conductor67@sbcglobal.net