Re: [CBQ] Quincy & Hannibal

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Quincy & Hannibal
From: "Jan Kohl j.kohl@wildblue.net [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2014 11:00:14 -0400
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Oh, man...too bad I'm not up there, it would be great to meet and also get to
show you around my 'home' area.

Hannibal.  Go up to the lookout above Bluff St. (off Hwy 79)
https://goo.gl/maps/YNWgG

This overlooks the old Q yard.
http://transport.castlegraphics.com/displayimage.php?pos=-2076
http://transport.castlegraphics.com/displayimage.php?pos=-3370
However, it looks more like this now...
http://transport.castlegraphics.com/displayimage.php?pos=-2132

I'd really recommend, if you have the time, go all the way down the K-line at
least to Old Monroe.  It's a very nice drive, you can easily do it in an
afternoon, you can see some trains, and there are a lot of things to see.
For a nice overview of the Missouri side of the K-line, here you go...
http://transport.castlegraphics.com/thumbnails.php?album=96

Pretty much most of the bridges are Q, all the grain elevators were around from
that time (some of them, for example, in Old Monroe are very old).  You can
check out where the rails used to go to Mexico, MO, at Old Monroe.  The over
100
year old swing bridge is in Louisiana, you can still see the station (now a
residence) at Kissinger, the old jail at Ilasco, the old Portland cement
building in Hannibal (huge), the chemical plant in Louisiana (that used to be
an
ammo plant during WWII).  Plenty to see.

And don't forget to visit Archie!

For Quincy, you'd be better off asking Archie, as I don't know much about it
(other than I used to drive grain trucks there to the elevators for a farm in
MO).

Cheers!

Jan

On 9/1/2014 4:56 AM, 'Rupert & Maureen' gamlenz@ihug.co.nz [CBQ] wrote:
> I'm planning on visiting Quincy and Hannibal after the Rock Island Meet, so
> I'm seeking suggestions of places and things there relating to the
> Burlington worth visiting.
>
> Thanks
>
> Rupert Gamlen
> Auckland NZ.