RE: [CBQ] Alaska Connection

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Alaska Connection
From: "Ted Schnepf railsunl@sbcglobal.net [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 20:34:19 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1405997808; bh=bKyslXaOauY9X4EurInv2xS8lHlsRqcKnLtoDu063q4=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-Mailer:To:In-Reply-To:References:X-Antivirus:X-Antivirus-Status:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Original-From:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=LweZM37myhSqqz0DdAr384stXTPqwlfTdaTFByTBxNEuT2ysfqdcQCwuZmFKlq4zlB1q71qJS2K4d3i9OKEV3Tz2PtSvYd5m5XvKi8iIPuId17dp6BeYJ/m1V9vMVyomGWJ5w8YTIgNItOaID3FKi3tRXnwMbBoO6x3mI46ogLI=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Hello,

I rode the WP&Y in the mid 1970's.  Our passenger train was mixed and
about 60 cars long.  Not bad slack action even at 30moph.  Had 5
engines up front for the hilly sections.  The evening freight train
out of white Horse full of ore and other cars, was 125 cars long with
two diesels.  At Lake Bennet, the train was split in half, and each
section taken down the hill by five diesels, with retainers on the 4%.

ted

At 09:24 PM 7/16/2014, you wrote:
>I must echo Leo's comments about riding the White Pass.   I rode the last
>year behind the Alcos.   Great engine sounds and chime air horns.   The GE
>units were on the train that followed us up the line.   I spent the whole
>trip on the end platform of our car taking photos and soaking in the fresh
>air and scenery.
>
>Definitely one of the best rides that I have taken.   Well run and the crews
>are very friendly and polite.
>
>I also agree about the salmon, but you have to have the local beer as well.
>
>Mike Cafferata

Ted Schnepf
railsunl@sbcglobal.net

---