Re: [CBQ] Black Beauty 5080

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Black Beauty 5080
From: "Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 22:46:06 -0400 (EDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1400813168; bh=yHR6y1YHqRMNZ/kYG0NLEoVQbfTYFW6PdfUT4JrPMI0=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:References:To:In-Reply-To:X-MB-Message-Source:X-MB-Message-Type:X-Mailer:X-Received:Message-Id:x-aol-global-disposition:X-AOL-VSS-INFO:X-AOL-VSS-CODE:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Original-From:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=cqh+YnFrFyhZFcQIK2Zm0NJOy2xes/TdjUa+oCr7Qqzff40LQYW0aA+t88++11lC5QzjrXU8ufREzMbBFGEbozoxS7li/4qSaMp41uZJ1Nx5qc+tS6LZdhpnyES1BsiR3eqxHAJfl1vfWI/S4HVEwc6OsKhfI+Qys+y7e5Ccqmk=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Be careful Louis...by remembering that I had mentioned  "The Black Beauty" before...You'll be in the category aptly described my my late wife who once said  "Everything reminds you of something"

Here's the context of my past comment regarding "The Black Beauty.   I was working the Ravenna switcher late summer of 1956.  The job worked 1:00am-9:00am with  little or no overtime..Hence as the youngest man when the job came up  I was elected...To make matters worse the job was a 6 day job but the trainmen were on a five day contract...The way the job would work was each of the three trainmen would work five weeks at 6 days then have 5 days off.. The extra man when forced up there had to stay 3 weeks.

There were two locals which operated out of Ravenna...There was the Lincoln-Ravenna local (47-48)...Lincoln-Ravenna Mon Wed Fri..Ravenna Lincoln Tue Thur Sat.  and a Ravenna -Aurora-Buirwell local on an opposite day schedule..Hence there was always a Geep availailable the nights we worked.

Something (what it was escapes me now)...occurred one morning which caused the foreman to comment..."Well, we'll have the black beauty tonight"  The BB (5080) was kept hot at the Ravenna RH for protection
 and I had seen her in action once or twice when I worked into Ravenna on thru freight so I was looking forward to  working with a steam engine...

HOwever...whatever might have occurred to press the BB into service diidn't happen...and we had the usual GP that night.   I don't know when the BB's service ended, but it was probably shortly after that situation I described...There was no steam action for me ever again wihile on CB&Q payroll.

Pete