[CBQ] Re:Burlilngton Switcher Colors

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re:Burlilngton Switcher Colors
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2014 09:42:35 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1396795360; bh=G/aI40vrW23P3fnVKzIAdwaQmNjjwufuoE3MlVeY0yI=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-Id:References:To:In-Reply-To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=UfgsBuxlTTDyfPRmVd0EDoyNrZjMCO/RxrZ2cJrH3w6OtGUzUhZc+hGPen0OovFPCIqJn6+on8SQUlLYfT+3df936PjUp1IrDW/Y5BbTSaEVrFj5Xb+HSEGkaujQJpiRPb8ifbsRrIanh2qJmqiXGitQ+U35m5ggrUDwabDdKWY=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Ken,

I found an EMC/GM ad in the 1938 Locomotive Cyclopedia  which shows several
switcher models including CB&Q SW-1 no. 9133. It is painted black with a Q
herald and the road number under the cab window. If you go to this website
link, http://yardlimit.railfan.net/baldwindiesels/cbq/index.html, there are
some photos of CB&Q Baldwin switchers, delivered during WWII in December, 1943,
painted black. The Baldwins do have Everywhere West and Way of the Zephyrs
painted on the black hood surface. In BRHS Bulletin No. 2 on Alco switchers,I
found a builder's photo of the first Alco switcher, no.9300, built in April,
1943, painted in the traditional black and gray paint scheme (blackbird?). With
those references, it would appear that the black and gray paint scheme was used
after 1943. I do not know whether they repainted locomotives during WWII.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO