[CBQ] Burt Mall's new steam book

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Burt Mall's new steam book
From: <gvlc6@hotmail.com>
Date: 05 Apr 2014 09:10:04 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1396714205; bh=SfWRcevkfmF2YIrwdcXGz5BYgutgXBcQiFEmYnHyWvw=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=kvTxG+hW9NcE43zM9U7uwaI+XWbLnKgmE+AL0SoMa6gnk8LVkkBTftaKEUvACih4Q6DnOWj9/suv1NiUfuYFW/7rDtnMFL7DtkwsYK9kQE6XDKn8a47O+JEAI5YxyO1AsHRs8XbY7UOE4sidcpfd7SY6Uyn7Ahf9kxsPXohfOFw=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
BRHS mbrs rcvd a flyer concerning this new book with the most recent Zephyr
mailing.  Burt also had a table at the Spring meet where you could buy directly
& save a few $$$.  I've known Burt for years so knew it would be a good book as
a) he actually worked fro CB&Q and b) is a nice guy who is as honest as the day
is long.  Thus the flyer was very accurate.  Actually 31+ % of the books photos
are CB&Q and many of the C&NW/IC are in Q territory.  What I especially liked
was that being a Q employee in various roles for 5 yrs gave Burt access to
locations and info that most railfans did not have.  Thus you get a great book
for these reasons: 1) being self-published he got the book done the way he
wanted (larger than normal format); 2) his commentary is excellent; 3) photos
include 75 of the Q and 14 of C&S including at least 6 Q wheel arrangements
inc. a rare view of a shop 0-6-0; 4) incidental views of freight cars &
waycars, MoW, early diesels, servicing facilities, employees, etc & 5) only 5
pics in the entire book have ever been published!   The rare pic to my mind
though was not one of the behind the scenes Q steam loco pics but a color view
of a 50' Central of Georgia box car behind an IC steam loco with the big oval
'football' herald.  Although I have an HO model (early AHM) I'd never seen a
color photo of the 50' proto.  (I know, you have to love freight cars to care!)
 Great job Burt!   (& if copies remain by Sept, I hope you have a table @ Rock
Island!)                    Gerald
 PS - althouhg 4960 is on the cover, only 2 or 3 of the Q pics are of steam in
fan service; note #4000 is shown being serviced for a revenue freight run very
late in its career!  This is a book of work-a-day steam.