Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 5869

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 5869
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 14:21:00 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1395602464; bh=adsdFY8rqnfrWHitzx/qiLSxHV4G4JuxOwULi4tA0wk=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-Id:References:To:In-Reply-To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=lPA0VTFu1N0qLSOptoFB6lrA5SShJ4/BaMkz86S70cta3ttWq7i6Yl0lEeDeZvF4/jXh4CCn5pgERXmbLzhxt9Pchm1s7NIZ52tVdF8kvkp+r/Iy+3r5Viu/3zJ02eyznXWBrAa8oqIoc/6Uu5jGelT1KFJ7fXl3m9lXLXOenxE=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
John,

Appliances on the 10 Q USRA 0-8-0s varied considerable and probably varied with
time. I just purchased a US Hobbies/KTM O scale USRA 0-8-0 which I plan to
modify to represent one of the Q's locomotives. With some of the photos that I
have available here is a summary of the details. (I steal some of Phil
Weibler's thunder here.)

No.     540 6/54 out of service, Visored Sunbeam headlight w/wing number
boards, downward offset headlight bracket, vertical midpoint of headlight even
with the top of the smoke box, round number board, clear vision tender with
square rear on coal bunker, cuckoo clock backup headlight w/wing number boards
at rear of tender deck.

        541 in service 6/49 cuckoo clock headlight w/wing no. boards, no visor,
mounted on strap iron bracket with vertical midpoint of headlight even with top
of smokebox, round number board, clear vision tender with squared off coal
bunker with high sides roughly even with lower edge of cab roof, wing cuckoo
clock back up headlight at top rear of tender deck.
        542     9/37 - cuckoo clock headlights front and rear, top half or
front headlight above top of smokebox. Clear vision tender with top of bunker
about even with bottom edge of cab roof.

        543     in service 5/24/55, wing Sunbeam headlight mounted on straight
bracket with 3/4 of headlight above the top of the smokebox, rectangular number
plate below headlight mounted on the bracket, clear vision tender with squared
off coal bunker extending up even with top of cab windows.Sunbeam back up
headlight on top rear deck of tender. Does not appear to have wing number
boards, but may have visor.

        544 out of service, no date, wing no. board Sunbeam headlight w/visor
on straight angle iron bracket, about 2/3s of headlight is above top of
smokebox, round number board, clear vision tender with squared off coal bunker
with top even with bottom edge of cab roof. Cuckoo clock backup headlight
mounted on top rear of tender deck.

        545 in service, 5/16/55, Sunbeam wing headlight with visor mounted on
straight bracket with rectangular number board, clear vision tender with
squared off coal bunker even with bottom edge of cab roof, wing Sunbeam backup
headlight mounted on top of tender deck at rear. Visor not evident
.
        546 no info

        547 in service 10/14/38, cuckoo clock headlight w/wing no. boards, no
visor, round number board, clear vision tender with squared of coal bunker and
high coal boards extending even with cab roof drip edge, cuckoo clock backup
headlight with wing no. boards and visor, mounted on tender deck at rear.

        548 No date, wing Sunbeam w/visor on straight bracket, rectangular
number board on front of bracket, also has round number board on smokebox
front, most of headlight sits above smokebox top, both number boards appear to
have numbers on them. Clear vision tender with squared off coal bunker, top of
bunker just above cab side wall, wing cuckoo clock back up light mounted on
tender deck at rear. In Oct. 1937, this locomotive have cuckoo clock headlights
front and rear.

        549 9/24/55 - In service, Sunbeam headlights both front and rear, round
number plate, clear vision tender with coal bunker up to roof drip end.

All of the USRA 0-8-0s appear to have had their original tenders modified to
clear vision at an early date, but the modifications were not all the same.
Other than headlights, backup light, number plate and the coal bunker
modifications, the Q appears to have made very few other changes to them in
their 35 years of service. Some of the straight headlight brackets appear to be
the original USRA bracket. If Phil Weibler can not supply photos of some
engines, I may be able to help.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO