RE: [CBQ] New Christmas trains

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>, <nburlingtonroute@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] New Christmas trains
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 17:48:19 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1388792904; bh=oOYBBeoir49QN6tu1FI3TV9X88GU+rXtBD31lc95dCc=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:References:In-Reply-To:Message-ID:X-Mailer:Thread-index:Content-language:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=GSRRMcMCTAZd5p6PRJaTt1OY9eL5YAUSNPGqJbddgcbvJIWb377BYDMjD/kN9Cc3wpVSNC362/vAwIxycoCMcadDDqi1yLEslacbvG40ckWd/o69SyrEgivGULjYZXVljcEN34aKlYLtva2/45NJoy806hlPlO11BLlvO3lq05I=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Anthony-

Strictly speaking, neither car is really accurate for the CB&Q.

I got into N Scale in 1965 (with Lone Star OOO trains) to AVOID modeling the CB&Q because I was getting frustrated trying to make accurate HO models to go along with the few brass items that were available then.

The plan was that nobody in their right mind would ever try to model a specific prototype in N Scale, so I made up the “Galesburg & Savanna” which just so happened to “have” prototypes that N Scale manufacturers were making.  The plan worked for a few years until Oriental and Hallmark started to do brass in N….and it went downhill from there.   Things got even worse when I started a second career in the Model Railroad Industry, first at Con-Cor and then at Kato.   Somehow some of the projects used CB&Q prototypes…..

Getting back to your cars….

The CB&Q went to “Chinese Red” with the GP-20 and SD-24 in 1959.   The gondola is a copy of the many similar cars that have been done in HO.   Few prototype fixed floor steel gondolas had eight panel sides like the model; most were drop bottom cars.   The car Hol came up with in Chinese Red was news to me; I never saw one of them on the “Racetrack” where I grew up.

The 50’ DD Box Car is actually a PS-1 car; the Q did not have 50’ PS-1s although they did have similar riveted cars.

That being said, the cars are nice “stand-in” models.  You have plenty of time to acquire too many cars and locomotives and start weeding out the less accurate ones!!

The DeLuxe Innovations 40’ box is actually modeled after the XM32 40’ car and has been available in both mineral red and Chinese Red schemes. InterMountain’s CB&Q box cars are also correct for CB&Q.

There is also an N Scale group which I’ve cc’d this message that is worth joining.

Charlie Vlk

I attached two new N scale Burlington cards I got for Christmas. I got a total of 22 cards for Christmas, some O and N scale. It was a very nice Christmas for me.

Can anyone tell me what years these would have been ran? Which year they would have been last seen?

Thanks,
Anthony