[CBQ] Re: 1956 Empties

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: 1956 Empties
From: "Phillips, III, J.A." <whstlpnk@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2013 00:27:08 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1387873630; bh=SRzZPnQAZJTST1F2zHRmcLxHog4QPyas5ErrlmjFtAQ=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:X-ELNK-Trace:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=etPmVVxK0Zr+6DOu8dcpEK21th64Ig6vBZcTXGPB1fMcSyiVgb2RIgxC+33C5OBPatOnBQrF9jdMB+9dvnMywezQfEPCUcwMcx3MTqnjABQ8fXVJdPv4OJ9J7eNZ99e1jeXB9J0fdeNXxvvl3CxYCepDmpRtFARBYu62p5K+7hg=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Bill Barber wrote: ''Unfortunately, I don't know who took the photos that I
have and I certainly do not have permission to use them or post them. I just
wanted to share the rest of the story. I wonder if the photographer took any
more photos on that day?''

More likely than not! I am not a numbers cruncher, but if you have a photo, and
it also shows up on eBay, I would think the odds are pretty good that whomever
was standing track side was a fan who was banging away to create extra shots
for trading. If you can come up with a date and a location you have a better
than average chance of figuring out who the fan was. From there you might put
out a notice to the BRHS publication/Web site, the Lexington Group, the RLHS
(especially the chapter covering the geographic area), and maybe throw in a
regional YahooGroup for a little extra coverage (the Twin Cities Rails and Twin
Ports Rails guys always seem to have a good answer for East End NP questions I
don't have a clue about).

I'd also suggest the Ronald V Nixon collection at the Museum of the Rockies.
Thousands of his images have been digitized, are easily searched, and RVN did a
lot of trading and photographing away from his home turf.

As an aside to that, do list members have favorite Web sites for older fans
whose collections have become parts of archives or institutions which can now
be searched/surfed? Nixon contemporary Warren McGee's collection is now at the
Montana State Historical Society, but they have not made great inroads into
digitizing the images for the Web the way the Museum of the Rockies has.
Another collection would be James M Fredrickson's, now appearing on the Web at
the Pacific Northwest Railroad Archives Web site. Other suggestions?

Remember how much you had to spend for it,
John Phillips
Seattle

"I will put down the informal history of the shirt-sleeve multitude," says Inez
Mischitz. "What they had to say about their jobs, love affairs, vittles,
sprees, scrapes and and sorrows. The oral history is a great hodgepodge and
kitchen midden of hearsay. A repository of jabber. An omnium-gatherum of
bushwah, gab, palaver, hogwash, flap-doodle and malarkey. The fruit of more
than 20,000 conversations. What people say is history, what we used to think
was history, is only formal history, and largely false. I will put down the
informal history or I will perish in the attempt."

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com