[CBQ] Company Tank Cars

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Company Tank Cars
From: Leo <qutlx1@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 17:31:38 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1386199902; bh=x6ntKdspWlPryEfF3o76OdsUq9i/U0QQ2lFLv2K8aSA=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Mailer:Message-Id:To:x-aol-global-disposition:x-aol-sid:X-AOL-IP:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=fS/Wt++xilW/lAA9U4CVl1UUp0zQH5K4wo34pvm59bOB4dvuH+OxL2nz17n/hXt3XKQ7evyRA16WqNIjUCMqZ13p7AqypGiM2dKbpgKvEvKUZK+sCbHzhbqRFK4tmAB4UcPm1OUQ2jZ2Z37LF11SWHpJO8CQxsmgkXQExPBCPTU=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I couldn't recall any changes in the regs in the 30s so I started researching
Hols comment about a reg change. I came up blank after diving into both the
UTLX and American Car and Foundry Histories. So I went to 3 of my former co
workers at UTLX  who have a combined 105 plus years in the tank industry. They
came up empty and referred me to a 20 plus page history of the tank industry on
the UTLX web site.

In 1927 the ICC Took over regulatory matters from the ARA(later AAR) on tank
cars. There was a total reclassification of cars by service. While it is not
specifically stated in the web site I suspect  the new reg had a grace period
that ran out in 1937 for cars that did not meet the new ICC requirements. Thus
the moving of RR owned cars to company service. Also this was about  the worst
year of the depression,pipelines and water carriers were making big inroads
into tank car shipments so it may have simply been a matter of economics. There
just wasn't enough demand to stay in the business. Also keep in mind that the
RRs viewed tank cars as specialized cars that they preferred private car owners
deal with. This same scenario played out with mechanical reefers,early days of
covered hoppers and other car types.

As an aside in 1942 there were 150,000 tank cars in service,of which 141,000
plus were privately owned. As a shipper who would you call for a car?

All this research led to a couple very interesting discoveries in the UTLX AND
ARI histories about
WWII leakage that we discussed a couple weeks ago. I will send a separate email
on that

Leo

Sent from my iPad

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com