RE: [CBQ] RE: Oregon, IL Truss Bridges

To: "cbq@yahoogroups.com" <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] RE: Oregon, IL Truss Bridges
From: GLEN HAUG <glenehaug@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 13:05:27 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1384549530; bh=y7N/o9hlaG0C9x5UFEilv5/gqi6wup+1DJHxqUhypE8=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-TMN:X-Originating-Email:Message-ID:To:Importance:In-Reply-To:References:X-OriginalArrivalTime:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=Qt7hfHssXBEYACOcWPfCXyKVoD7LPIMVMhAGK4ImdpW64+obL7/UiDMzYBMMnUi7ebCVZP35fbCQORIRzgmY4Ne0k4+NXAdKjFsZbdsrmwgCCI4K+6aMmttZeW219hK2DqEFK/mGTclHYUiLjnSR8xml8n1qGrcaW3SiAOIeqQQ=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Tom:

The truss spans in the bridge at Oregon are Pratt trusses, not Warren trusses.  I agree with the original responder to your post that the Central Valley 150' Pratt truss is a good starting point.  The trusses at Oregon were 132', but I wouldn't change the length of the panels if it were my bridge.

One thing you could do to make the CV model look almost identical to the spans in the Oregon bridge is to add reverse diagonals to all of the interior truss panels.  The CV model appears to have reverse diagonals in the two middle panels (3 and 4) only, whereas the prototype bridge had reverse diagonals in all four interior panels (2,3,4 and 5).  They were all eyebars, so they would probably be pretty easy to replicate with styrene.

The responder below evidently had a problem with the truss sagging.  I'm not familiar with how the CV model goes together, but you might experiment with trying to place some camber in the truss.  This is prototypically, and I would guess the trusses at Oregon originally had a couple of inches of camber.

Glen Haug