[CBQ] Oil on the Q in World War Two

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Oil on the Q in World War Two
From: "Phillips, III, J.A." <whstlpnk@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 22:21:22 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1383196884; bh=E4s0Zj32yunh6zBBFsj+2nS2YunCy/vu11/qoQ3UX/k=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:X-ELNK-Trace:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=geNn2xhzPx9n1uBzYwQBp+N8T7Ip2il7a1zRNN9T8SLnYHbA5M/VFoduSqRoa6nScFl5AKUQeyDBSh6pGQ2OC+8q+YO7d9+bkV+pSWTt6UMjwvAzHe2/zR5sOH2HPEAyNnce73f7Bi5dSxtHQfTr8ofID4zWoad4YFkrDD3HoTg=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
All-

Another NPR report today on oil companies moving oil by rail as they can't get
the Keystone XL pipe line built had me thinking about the NP's dedicated oil
trains to support the war in the Pacific during WWII. Does anyone know the
details (or has an article been written) on dedicated oil trains on the Q
during WWII? Presume FWD-KC-Laurel, but anything is possible.

As an addendum to the above, the NP's tank car fleet was just about nil in 1940
(just a handful for company service). Does anyone know how many tank cars the Q
rostered in 1940 and then in 1945? With the War Production Board clamping down
on who got what for the duration, I would like to know if they allocated any
materials for tank car construction (as tankers were quickly taken up in war
service and withdrawn from coastal/Gulf public trade).

RSVP
John Phillips
Seattle

"I will put down the informal history of the shirt-sleeve multitude," says Inez
Mischitz. "What they had to say about their jobs, love affairs, vittles,
sprees, scrapes and and sorrows. The oral history is a great hodgepodge and
kitchen midden of hearsay. A repository of jabber. An omnium-gatherum of
bushwah, gab, palaver, hogwash, flap-doodle and malarkey. The fruit of more
than 20,000 conversations. What people say is history, what we used to think
was history, is only formal history, and largely false. I will put down the
informal history or I will perish in the attempt."

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com