[CBQ] Re: Early Dome Trips (was Denver Zephyr Sign)

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Early Dome Trips (was Denver Zephyr Sign)
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 09:07:56 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1382450881; bh=SY/vN4ZIinvwbiE/vl/5iwK8bgVJszYxRCtZCfXnKHo=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:To:References:Message-Id:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=e2er0fY5xlqVywMczCZ7Nn4F/rTyXv7l0nY0Vk1ArmIrGOx2kthmjMJLqcxms3sSNiLncrezqmMIy3H4c2Bcddm4oNpj6xHoFVot9pyjm6Cp0fGNsmRcvZJV0T/gBkLWe1HTuQbkcteqb/u3MQhvSRFhHot3uJN7C8MUppO4ZvU=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Pete,

I vaguely recall a ride with my parents on a dome equipped Zephyr train in the late 1940s. It was an introductory trip for the public before the train went into regular service. I believe we boarded the train in late afternoon or early evening at Downers Grove where we lived or one of the other suburban stations. It seems like the trip last a couple of hours or so and we returned to our starting point after dark. I was probably 4 - 6 years old at the time. I have always thought that the trip was the introduction of the dome equipped Twin Cities Zephyr (the third set) which would have been in 1947, but it could have been the CZ. It definitely was not the dome equipped DZ, introduced in 1956.

I don't know where we rode to, but in my child's mind's eye, it seemed like a long ways. It was my first ride in a dome car and would not be repeated until the 4000/637 fan trip to Streator in Sept, 1956. Does anyone else recall such a trip in the Chicago area?

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO