[CBQ] Re: Signals on the Q - West End Burlington Yard CTC

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Signals on the Q - West End Burlington Yard CTC
From: "qmp211" <milepost206@mchsi.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 21:52:56 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1381528380; bh=iPPEZog9l4sBcOo8pYdgLBkapYVdDnb1FSANbA1jWCo=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=B7uqvppqGt+NfWVEPJ7w1TVcH1N5nxbNOlNF5O29H5u8FZytSgT/QOcNykPcaxthnZA/v0KrlXb6jafqDqYJU0y7UeYqbQjFzy1zZ/KVDLNeqJr6VZLEwyjlFrRGhWquzbcG9/GvLhZ2w3qAXcsBIQ0V3ofjwyPIn5aFF8LYxOE=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Glen & All,

I got to thinking about this.

The signal bridge in question was/is west of the Lucas Street crossing. The
actual bridge location has moved 3 times if I remember correctly further
downhill each time. Lucas Street came to be later on after the BN merger. Maybe
Lenny or Steve can help here.

The referred to CTC location was always referred to during my era as Mt
Pleasant Street even though the actual signals were west of the Lucas street
crossing and Mt Pleasant Street bridge on a curve, badly located if you weren't
on top of the air even before 10,000 ton coal trains and especially if there
was a change in plans at BN over the bridge.

BTW - the approach signal - no such term, just reference point - for Mt
Pleasant Street/CTC was on top of the Hill near West Burlington Avenue. Many a
surprise awaited train crews when they rounded that curve at Mt Pleasant Street
and found a red board after getting a green at WB Avenue. And a rotten
trainmaster would throw the signal at 6th Street red after an EB train started
moving at Mt Pleasant Street. That lasted until the trainmaster in question had
to explain 15 cars on the ground between 5th Street and 4th Street.

I've also heard 'rumors" that on several occasions an EB freight crew waiting
on a train at the Mt Pleasant Street signal would sneak over to the turkey
works and let the doomed turkeys stretch their legs and enjoy some fresh air.

The green hillside dotted with hundreds of white turkeys made for a pastoral
refection of Midwest farm life until a horn blew for Lucas Street. More than
one headend crew found themselves covered in white feathers and blood stains
from the ensuing commotion.

Randy

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com