[CBQ] Re: Removing factory paint and decals

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Removing factory paint and decals
From: "Douglas Harding" <doug.harding@iowacentralrr.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 07:22:01 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1372681324; bh=8/Qg7EVD/bRsDnVhmKrLtSy3+z/+3WIakoHgALsSFAI=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:X-Mailer:Thread-Index:Content-Language:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=CGt8wPXZVecS5740zvGSH/lDLuBvZyk6QMmmN0QUIFJRWNoXBGf58mzGatbE2Cp20NOsNcZJWsdf4I3uvj3PHF2XlrirdB1AIuMylP4h+4O6GAh/ymkMDDVVTUAZGMvl7j4DOZtSN6HPKI+Q1eM2hNqU/otcEUOjT4TMy0QVDqc=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

I have a Badger mini-sand blaster (bead blaster), #260. They call it an Abrasive Gun. It works very well. It came with Aluminum Oxide Abrasive, 220 grit. I have also used baking soda, with excellent results, to remove lettering without damaging the underlying paint. Very nice for changing numbers on freight cars. While my compressor will do 100lbs+, I have not found any need to use more than 40lbs for blasting.

I do recommend an enclosed blasting booth, especially when using baking soda, which forms a find dust that gets everywhere. A booth with a collection hopper in the bottom is best, as this allows you to collect and reuse your blasting media. You will go through lots of media while blasting. Also be sure to wear protective gear, goggles, breathing mask, gloves.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org