[CBQ] Re: Dubuque Iowa depot

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Dubuque Iowa depot
From: "Brown" <hawkeyelarry@q.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 21:57:32 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1371765454; bh=Ko1r8Wlpw15Vct++f+RybghcfgeNSixdQAVAHqnmSeU=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=N721rs/QduvI2Q1FWd1XApqMD3tviLea+In7oWpGrBCx5GC3zH1g9ExuFV5L9omdW9qmbljcqD0b3+mWqemy7qXVIcMvXooFIYL/IA7HthHS6gWrtXvWhHWXHdjr4qG5CMj7KVSToWO34FDyAq0uAUUrrGbibz5YrrO4gouocKE=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Doug,
That building is built on the site of the original CBQ depot.  My understanding
is the walls of this building utilized the original walls which were still
intact after the siding used to modernize it were removed.  The restoration is
a replica of the orginial CBQ depot.  I remember the depot after it was
modernized.  A picture of this modernized depot is in Mike Spoor's book about
the line to the Twin Cities.  The Q ran a bus from the depot in Dubuque to meet
trains in East Dubuque.  The only passenger train that operated from the
Dubuque depot was an excursion to Savanna in 1963 that I rode with my Dad and
younger brother.  Quite the experience to ride through the tunnel in East
Dubuque.  The Q freight house was behind the depot and is still standing as
part of the River Museum.  Sadly the building you saw is vacant no longer used
by the Museum.

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com