Re: [CBQ] black hills high line route

To: "CBQ@yahoogroups.com" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] black hills high line route
From: Pete Doolittle <pdoo@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 20:32:19 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1361759542; bh=JZidqlfH7DBaSQatxosPU/3VpAInrLV0oHxmOUZzH9M=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:References:X-Mailer:In-Reply-To:Message-Id:To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=xlPdrCVGkXCAS+veIDLY6KWMt+8QNpm1XPpdv6hhNeTAzIA13+agvvoNMhNheiuBuoagVIdo8f2pYLnVlO5Fq/wqr4LQonq98ek/3K89rEWNKhRsxgH5ejBChzX4FLQCTujxpmcMSLYS24NSaF4Yqb42qK53bSB7GZ/A2anW57g=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Black Hills power in the late Q and BN era was almost exclusively SD9s right up until the end when GP20s took over.

I know I've seen color coverage of the Black Hills in the BN era but I can't put my hands on it at the moment. Might be Burlington Northern and its Heritage by Glishinski? Don't quote me on that,  my copy is M.I.A. at the moment. Maybe someone else can help there. It could have been a magazine article in thinking of. I'll do some searching and see if I can come up with it.

Three books come to mind for CB&Q historical reference:
Alliance and Everywhere West (Kistler, Hardy, South Platte Press, 1990)
Burlington Route West, a Personal Journey (Hardy, South Platte Press, 2000)
Railroads of the Black Hills (Fielder, Superior Publishing, 1964)

All three are out of print but contain good historical information and photos if you can find a copy. The first two listed have photos of the Custer depot. The Alliance book has BN-era coverage too.

Hope that helps a little, I worked Alliance to Edgemont circa 1999-2001 so I took a passing interest in the area history.

Pete Doolittle