[CBQ] Re: black hills high line route

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: black hills high line route
From: "Winton" <wyhog@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 17:16:27 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1361812595; bh=ZiRTj4kFmdpkI2g+jNCNln2Hmj2OEGAjWXPpQP1Zs2I=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=jfCgPGxTv2pE2PH9HB1DCsGTc9sg5g/XTsju90yteur4aZ9dDzdF3/U5/soM0QHd7caQRyLUgf6BSnTp17h/8vFRHsjWAjZ9YmuOZlbIDKPG8iXbhU0TusR5R8D6WbLYzdktCQMTHL9aFvI/rk8GG9eiAsb+9HoFUvfPuRnyTGw=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
This is not CB&Q but you asked about 1971-1972 which would have been BN so I'll
post this anyway.

When I was an engineer at Alliance in 1975 I was sent to run the
Edgemont-Deadwood train on several occasions as the line was Alliance Extra
Board territory. Strange since Edgemont was a home crew terminal for the main
line. But the crews at Edgemont were Sheridan seniority  not Alliance so
Alliance protected the Black Hills line. The only thing I ever saw used on the
line in 1974-1975 were SD9s. We usually had 3 or 4 of them on the train.

I have a few (maybe half dozen) from the cab photos from when I worked the
route. Nothing special and none of the Custer depot.

When I was engineer there we usually went up the Keystone branch and the Hot
Springs branches to service customers. But that was just after the big Rapid
Creek flood of 1974 so the Keystone branch ended at a mica loading facility a
few miles over the hill at Hill City. Every thing around there was three-rail
for the narrow gauge.

I also worked the Deadwood yard engine a few times. I seem to recall that
little SW-1 (#91??) could only handle about 2 cars at a time up the switchback
to the Homestake gold mine at Lead.

Spotting the coal at Black Hills Power was fun. In the snow you had to sort of
get a run up the steep ramp to the trestle yet once on top get em stopped
without going over the end. A bit nerve wracking in the dark for a young
engineer.

Also the Black Hills line was one of only two places in my 41 year career as an
engineer where I had to use retainers.

Even in 1975 the Edgemont-Deadwood freight train was still a Second Class
scheduled freight in the timetable. That was so the dispatchers did not have to
put out train orders for it nor put out meets between it and the steam tourist
train. With the regular Edgemont-Deadwood train in the timetable the steam
train and any extra freights, such as a ballast pit turn, could simply be given
run-extra orders and they could operate against the schedule.

I really liked that run but its been so many years ago.

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com