Re: [CBQ] Lettering "Old Passenger Cars"

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Lettering "Old Passenger Cars"
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 20:47:46 -0500 (EST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1360633674; bh=NBhkkehX0cuZD8LJdLdkNu8+BuIgo1ZG0ZGmGHkg9Vg=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:References:To:In-Reply-To:X-MB-Message-Source:X-MB-Message-Type:X-Mailer:X-Received:Message-Id:x-aol-global-disposition:X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE:X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=PG3Yl1m4BlUK2+pOkzbik7yXXr7mGS9q93GXmSxOFF9l+dazOeMSWfEwjyCZKGBgP/ikh84b+lVOp2ovi8JiyX1iAj61w3hcJr+7RK+Nygz4/o8TEcdPvAemq0xlc0rQQi3rvd5t5vXMcdSa21JXGk0vzFqYux5WkVUvAxqU1Cw=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Hol

I don't think Ed Flynn was ever Supt of Motive power...I'll do some checking on that....However it was his performance as the Man IN Charge of the Republican River Flood devastation clean up and repair summer 1935. that gave his career a big boost.   I think before that time he was in an "assistant to" category job...

I think he was promoted to Ex VP shortly after the 35 flood matter.

I'll see what I can come up with his place regarding his corporate "track between 1930-40.   He was one of the Q officials of which I heard my grandfather often speak...It was always favorable...I may have met him at one time but I don't remember.   I do seem to remember meeting O.E. Ward at some kind of retirement affair in 1957 in Sheridan WY..  as a disclaimer it may have been a commemorative affair after Ward's death...I just remember a lot of talk about Ward on my last railroad journey with my GF.  I did meet Dick Nelson on that trip at Sheridan.  Nelson was a former freight conductor and later Supt and/or trainmaster on the Alliance or Sheridan divisions way back when...In fact I have a letter from him addressed to the freight conductors admonishing them to salvage the melted babbitt when repacking or rebrassing hot boxes..He told the others that the scavenging resulted in some spectacular monetary savings of something like  $10 last month...I'm sure I've got that letter and I'll post it here when it turns up.

Pete