Re: [CBQ] Unusual Company Form

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Unusual Company Form
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 20:33:33 -0500 (EST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1360632959; bh=OBZIK5PMuXvdmFUvO+1Q8v86i6q4eWMzrKb73kSM/ZY=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:References:To:In-Reply-To:X-MB-Message-Source:X-MB-Message-Type:X-Mailer:X-Received:Message-Id:x-aol-global-disposition:X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE:X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=s4IqS3fFTiG0yS6gr2eUUxkY46BNlu8+DrqmFUHzgvPpEiJ627GAHbfogJSznKPaBwGg82MnHaH/okqIf7px1Jmtklb2rCMY0SwPGfDiTA0vk9VAal9woilQUH8+qG9pc8SOtqkbIAx5D8sgZk2xTcUEcsY7/n3q34oLLbvwFK0=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Hol

This "observation" would come under the heading of an "efficiency test" of which operating officers were required to perform a certain number  each month.  On the Rock Island we were required to turn in at least 20.  There was no specific form for whistle tests but those were reported on your monthly test report along with the other tests made.

One of the "easiest" test to make was to observe as the special agent did in this case the"performance" of the whistle procedure at a crossing while  "laying out in the weeds"..

When it got close to the end of the month and you didn't have your tests in these 14L observations were easy to get...but you got in trouble if you had too many of just "observation tests"...ie just watching a crew perform as opposed to actual testing where you would set up a set of specific conditions ie  putting down torpedoes and then "cracking" a red fussee to check that the crew performed properly as required by the rules under those conditions.

The performance would be reported as   14L at crossing MP xxx  OK.   For you non rails Rule 14L was the  rule specifying the correct number of "longs and shorts" to be blown under specific conditions...  ie  threee shorts  back up
2 longs  go ahead   2 shorts  answer to any signal given other than a fixed signal.

I think the whistle rules are labeled differently now but back when it was a "real railroad" things were as I have described here.

Pete