[CBQ] Brightening Up Heralds

To: CB&Q Group <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Brightening Up Heralds
From: HOL WAGNER <holpennywagner@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 17:04:22 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1360627464; bh=KFuWwamy9NTKUE37g8MTM7yovdJZ0t+SfNrTedk+TbE=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-EIP:X-Originating-Email:Message-ID:To:Importance:X-OriginalArrivalTime:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=PhYeLM8RqfBES/r4uiCpkxCgRDOakAhaCejHhuqnzroNcZKiNZTwVzTfeEVO+VI71PGpsxET+lJwKIxe5+g2RGJgKnQlfd51ftamfwueSJPPHY12bwelqzwYNTg01/daaTYdpHBeHIb/E/qoe5+4emQpuqC/IzDIb3/STXZBVfE=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Here's another letter from the 1930s, written by C&S motive power superintendent John Pfeiffer to Denver master mechanic F.T. Gregg on Nov. 20, 1936, as the country was beginning to climb out of the depression that had curtailed anything but essential maintenance to locomotives and rolling stock for the past six years.  Now the tide was beginning to turn:

"I believe where we have any of our engines with Burlington monogram badly deteriorated, we could afford to have new monogram put on the tenders.

"If our cab numbers and monograms, and numbers on the front end door ring [i.e., number plate] are kept reasonably good, will add a great deal to the appearance, which we seem to be unable to take care of as we would like to on account of hot having sufficient help.  Therefore, the service of our Painter a few hours a week will greatly help the appearance."

Gregg penned a note to his chief clerk on the bottom of the letter:  "Have Mason [the painter] come to RH 1 to 2 hrs each morning until this has been taken care of."

Hol