Re: [CBQ] Emergency Waycars....now getting on and off moving equipment

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Emergency Waycars....now getting on and off moving equipment
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 23:57:23 -0500 (EST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1359089846; bh=YUhxFv+V9ayv+HXl1awAp3StQX59PhOI1haVgX1iCJw=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:References:To:In-Reply-To:X-MB-Message-Source:X-MB-Message-Type:X-Mailer:X-Received:Message-Id:x-aol-global-disposition:X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE:X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=kA/NtUWgQLhIOAV2zcfRodINvcQVkmBTeq/8rzV96KhrZw848qJVxfwPZsYwArDcRyaqwlx6LCWHBlMnzAqcZZk5vuGMHQvq1sDbl3o6/do7szhm3mAuMJXynD2VDqnf4t2I1F4kVxr7BxRjSeRV5sAhzn73P7I4dskN0gPfSiw=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

A few days ago I came across one of the old RR "Safety Films" on U TUBE..it was Santa Fe teaching switchmen how to get on and off moving equipment...Imagine that today...When I started as a brakeman that was one of the first...and few things anybody showed and told me how to do...

It used to be the mark of a good brakeman was how fast he could get on and off....And the pride of some engineers was to see how fast they could get going to try out the rear end's skills.

There is a story in one of the OLD Railroad magazines complete with an illustration of this conductor who had gone into the station eating house while his crew did their work and he came out with a piece of pie balanced on one hand and his umbrella in the other and, it was reported that he got on with no trouble at all.  There was a "blow by blow" description of his antics, but I don't recall the details of how he did it well enough to describe it here.

The fastest "get on" I ever saw was one day at the Langdon depot the north local had done their work and the rear brakeman was standing on the platform visiting with the agent as the train pulled out...I don't know whether it was deliberate or not, but that hoghead had a good "wheel on em" by the time the waycar came by...I thought...this guy ain't never gonna make it...He did something I never saw anybody else do, nor did I ever try it myself.

He started running when the waycar was about 2 C/L away and was just paralleling his train and as the rear end of the W/C got to him he just turned...didn't grab the grab iron...but just jumped on.  He acted like he did it all the time, but I never saw anybody else do it that way.

Pete