[CBQ] RE: Shovelnoses in N, was Re: The angle of the slant?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] RE: Shovelnoses in N, was Re: The angle of the slant?
From: "proto_trains" <randy@prototrains.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2013 18:17:48 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1357496271; bh=Zrcsapij5GeKiJiC4K0k1h22S959OwPI34k5p+6iuLs=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=gq6ubWeY6P+I4yfAs6A+EvBxBIs22iY/Z1HPW0OIjCdTgz0LVH8mJGu/6KYBxu7INQizNzc+1FTTGQjulfYdmRV5IaehA9i5x/AyFYRkgFNMPIBIV/dw5n6Z4ZPVsAoIM2y8W6jAmC9YXJNF0gXxwpUOxPDh4fM9uLQyQ4AhVTI=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Bryan, thank you for your reply.  The only Shapeways material that is usable
for these shells is their "Frosted Ultra Detail" (FUD), which seems to be a
stereolitography material, rather than the coarser SLS (selective laser
sintered) of their other choices.  I've had one part printed from FUD, not a
model railroading part but a medallion to be used as a lost-wax-casting master.
 The FUD does have slight parallel lines but they are less than .001" high and
fairly easily dealt with.

These shells will be highly surface detailed and won't really have any flat
surfaces to sand.  My favorite tool for this kind of surface finishing (I use
it on photoetchings too) is a fine fiberglass pencil from the Eraser company (
http://www.eraser.com/fybrglass-brushes-and-erasers/ ).  I used it on the
medallion to smooth the surface between the raised lettering, which was only
.010" high.

I'm moving ongoing discussion over to the nburlingtonroute Yahoo group, since
this is a modeling-specific subject.  And I'll be updating my website later
today with screenshots of my progress on Silver Charger.

Randy

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com