Re: [CBQ] Re: Oregon Part Two

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Oregon Part Two
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 19:37:41 -0500 (EST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1357346263; bh=VcB1/2RquWCVcdEfr2NNvCFMP8sCl48ogTyNT29p5bQ=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Full-name:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:x-aol-global-disposition:X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE:X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=CN5sWXJ0RwATYRabDJHlDzswZr6Gw/M5ah2wr6yc3BzSiDXAxlpb66aLO5m4+pfSwkXeMWwtHJ5s+g6MOS38F5YhtQVlUmC2ajUOYNxqrbE+1cGvskiyyvG+1+JOtDuva5n3pd1nA1H/NzlR9QHqkaHJN1KIWYvH9Q6EXI+wJFw=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Paul,

Remote engines were fueled by local bulk dealers under contract. The engine would be placed in a spot where the dealers truck could get access. At Oregon it was on the "River trk",some called it the city trk near Carnation. At Rochelle it was in the "pocket" near the depot.

The Q did own two or three distinct sets of tank cars. One set was used primarily for lube oil, another was used almost exclusively for diesel fuel for locos,the 181000 series. Many of these were loaded at the Rochelle Standard Oil pipe line terminal and sent to places like Cicero,La Crosse,Savanna,Galesburg,etc where volume of fuel consumption justifiied the tank cars. Go way back in the archives of this list and you can find my story of a Q 181000 series riveted Q tank leaking at Standard Oil one night when we went in to switch.

The entire bulk oil distribution system would make a great Bulletin article,both company service and revenue frt. Lew Peshia used to tell me about how long it took to move a car from Rochelle to places like Shabbona and Walnut to the bulk distributors, and we wonder why the truckers got all the business............

Today the BNSF leases tank cars from CIT for bulk diesel distribution. Just watch the C&I local with all the DBUX tank cars. They are BNSF leased.

Leo Phillipp