[CBQ] Re: Waycar mystery - CW class

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Waycar mystery - CW class
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 11:20:46 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1350145255; bh=gtlhFAqYm5+O64U11myguwscu7EETfHgEb+JG4v8L8g=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:To:References:Message-Id:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=GdPHHVIOtq7Ol3UsEv2qLMhMX2gP7adAZckT8mqwY11c7b6wIRTO2W+PiQHHDLYFxvvij8fcVUNSY8tCqbRtCeosOLqcw6Zn9Z3X0qwIlhVrQ79ciirfGPFundDkTQYH
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Charlie,

When I called on West Burlington Shop post merger to the early 1990s, they had a full time resident staff engineer on site. He created drawings, maintained and updated drawings, issued and reviewed modifications, distributed drawings and information to the field and was involved in any special projects in the shop. His office was located in a loft near and above the general offices. Of course, his activities were coordinated with the Mechanical Dept. to whom he reported.  Many older drawings were maintained in his office. While I did not have a responsibility for the RR before merger, I suspect that the Q maintained a similar position when they controlled the operation of West Burlington. They probably had similar positions at the other major backshops such as Aurora, Denver, Havelock and possibly even Hannibal.

That said, I recall one visit when repairs were being made to a wrecked locomotive. Several shop people, including the bay foreman, were gathered around the front of the locomotive discussing the best way to complete a certain portion of the the repair. A drawing was made in chalk on the end sheet of the locomotive and that was the plan they followed in completing the repairs! The specific drawing probably vanished with the paint job.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO