[CBQ] Re: Steam Restoration

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Steam Restoration
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 10:29:38 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1349191786; bh=8dm/Pu+kA3mRZqrHKC7yj6lrLl3hGkcHj0LAckt5YRQ=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:To:References:Message-Id:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=oUT4BPk4Ootyr2byCOLH83wVK36O8XmM+9iWgosV57xeF8ERQYD/1lh8g6dhlBtX+66cJSnD8fZc6aJWlUWZIl/B8xXoWPLzT7tKipgsDTcwJDk5MmfWYQhfaHHUAexL
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Listers,

I have to agree with Art Gibson. It is still a steam locomotive and as long as you are boiling water in a moving machine, you will have all of the problems associated with past examples. They were labor intensive machines and they will be in any future incarnation! Fuel is only one of the many problems encountered with a steam locomotive. These people aren't the first to try powdered or processed coal and when you started processing coal, you start raising the cost. Coal was a great fuel because it didn't need processing. Power plants don't have to worry about movement or space, but haven't been able to use coal in a manner satisfactory to the EPA. Instead, with the increased availability of natural gas, they are switching to that fuel.

L.D. Porta did some fine work, but even with his work, you don't see anyone or any country building a bunch of modern steam locomotives. The best approach would be to start from scratch instead of nostalgia. A modern version of Norfolk and Western's Jawn Henry would be a better approach, but do you really think that such a locomotive is going to compete with modern diesels from GE and EMD? The efficiency of current model diesels is phenomenal, even when compared to diesels from just 10 years ago. For any locomotive, cost of operation is the bottom line.

William Barber
Gravois Mills, MO