[CBQ] Existing Q & Other RR Structures & Equipment from Savanna to the T

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Existing Q & Other RR Structures & Equipment from Savanna to the Twin Cities
From: "cbq_bill" <cbq_bill@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 03:54:11 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1347335653; bh=x30+yE13AyvZmGMnWf+klECj5DFHxT+NobIMuOxM1+k=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=ZmloMrbhWa8eSUBq+7cKav+aSKn/zlwcDI8M5XFkBqGGeyvf7rTM1uYX6hvj4gxWFkezK+LW83adm/lNz0O7DYfbdSwvnWpzNXd2qUd9Gqk026lgd3BMQDj1y2DeLWsf
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Here is a quick summary of the various responses to this post.  Thanks to the
many individuals who responded with information.

This group includes Gerald, Matt Carlson, Joe LeMeay, Paul Houston, Tom Burg,
Larry, Mr. Sallee, & many others whose names escape me at the moment.  Please
correct my mistakes and add to the list any Q or RR attractions that are
missing.

With the scenic river, lakes, bluffs, & Twin Cities Line, this will be a great
rail-fan drive !

Savanna, IL
1. Poopy's Pub & Grill, Rt 84 south of town, 815-273-7667.
2. Savanna Train Car Museum, 25 Main St, Open 10AM-2PM Dailey, 815-273-7594.
This a Milwaukee Rod passenger car with some Q items on display.  Find website
with Google.
3. Palisades State Park.  Sweeping vies of the track & river.
4. Former Savanna Ordnance Depot.  Access restricted.  Former Q depot & stock
pen.

Galena Junction, IL
1. Former branch line is a hiking trail betwwen GJ & Galena.  Photo display at
both ends.

East Dubuque, IL
1. Timmerman's Supper Club south of town.  Great views of tracks & river.
815-747-3316.
2. IC/Q depot in MOW service.
3. IC tunnel & bridge by depot.

Dubuque, IA
1. National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium includes former Q brick depot &
freight house.  Open 9AM-5PM.

Potosi, WI
1. Potosi Brewing Company with associated Potosi Brewing Museum & Brewing
Transportation Museum with beer reefer display inside.  potosibrewing.com.  209
S. Main st.  11AM-9PM.  608-763-4002.

McCartney, WI
1. Old zince & lead loader relic from 1960s.

Cassville, WI
1. Dewey Nelson State Park & Stonefield Village.  Has at least one former NP
caboose/waycar.

Bagley, WI
1. Footings of last Q water tower on the line that serviced the 1960s steam
excursions.

Wyalusing State Park, WI
1. Former Q bridge with rails cut (new BNSF bridge along side of the Q
bridge.).  At conflueunce of the Wisconsin & Mississippi Rivers, as traveled by
Marquette & Joliet.

Prairie Du Chien, WI
1. Old Q brick box depot now BNSF MOW depot.
2. Maybe some MR rib-sided waycars.

LaCrosse, WI
1. Copeland Park has on display CB&Q #4000 Hudson 4-6-4 Aeolus, MR tower.
608-789-7533.
2. Grand Dad's Bluff was backdrop to the 1940s Q depot made of flagstone but
now gone.
3. Amtrak Depot in former MR depot, has a restaurant, on 601 St. Andrews St.
4. Freight House Restaurant, 107 Vine St, 608-784-6211
(freighthouserestaurant.com).   In former MR freight house.
5. CB&Q Division Headquarters & Paint Shop buildings still exist.
6. Econo Lodge near the #4000 and has RR & beer themed rooms as options.

Pepin, WI
1. Pepin Depot Museum in former CB&Q / CB&N wood depot.  The nice lady on their
phone told me that it will be open on Fri 09/14, Sat 09/15, & Sun 09/16 from
9:00AM - 4:00PM.  715-442-6501.
2. Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum, 806 3rd St, 715-442-2142, is also nearby.  LIW
is the author of the "little House on the Prairie" book series and she was born
in a cabin in "The Big Woods" outside of Pepin (there is a reproduction cabin
at that spot with some displays.).

Bay City, WI
1. Flat Pennies Ice Cream stand by the tracks.  Has Soo Line caboose.
2. Bridge 393.63 over Trimble Creek has 75' arch.

St. Paul, MN
1. St Paul Union Depot.
2. Dayton's Bluff.
3. James J. Hill Stone Arch Bridge hosted the Twin Cities Zephyr in years past
but is now a hiking & biking bridge.
4. James J. Hill House, 240 Summit Ave, 651-297-2555, Wed-Sat 10AM-3:30PM, Sun
1PM-3:30PM.  Google the website.
5. Bandana Square.  Former MR shop site with O-scale model RR and various RR
equipment (maybe a CB&Q waycar ?).
6. Minnesota Transportation Museum, 193 Pennsylvania Ave, 651-228-0263.

Enjoy !

Bill

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com